Delhi Police has filed a charge sheet against JNU alumnus Umar Khalid and Sharjeel Imam in Karkardooma Court on charges of plotting Delhi Riots. Chargesheet Special Cell has filed under the Anti-Terrorism Act UAPA. Along with this, action has also been taken under several strict sections of the IPC and Orms Act.
Please tell that Omar Khalid was arrested on 14 September on behalf of Delhi Police in a case related to Delhi violence. The Karkardooma Court has extended the judicial custody of Umar Khalid till 20 November. An application was made to extend his judicial custody for 30 days more by the Delhi Police.
Omar Khalid’s lawyer has opposed the plea of Delhi Police. He said that it has cooperated in all ways in the investigation of the police. The application made by the Delhi Police to extend his judicial custody is wrong. These sections of IPC have been imposed on Omar Khalid, Faizan Khan and Sharjeel.
13/16/17/18 UAP Act, 120B r / w 109/114 / 124A / 147/148/149 / 153A / 186/201/212/295/302/307/341/353/395/419/420 / 427/435/436/452/454/468/471/34 IPC, 25/27 Arms Act & 3/4 PDPP Act.
What is the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act UAPA
Very strict provisions were made under the UAPA for the purpose of preventing illegal activities outside the country. Last year, the government made some amendments to this law by making it tougher. This law applies throughout the country.
1. Under this law, antisemitary bail cannot be obtained in the case.
2. A case can be taken against any Indian or foreigner under this law. No matter the location or tendency of crime.
3. In case of crime on foreign soil, a case can be filed under it.
4. In India, this law may also apply in cases of crime in register ship or aircraft.
5. This law is mainly to combat terrorism and Naxalism.
6. Any kind of individual or collective illegal activity, which threatens the security, unity and integrity of the country, is under the purview of this law.
7. This law empowers the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to declare a suspect involved in any kind of terrorist activity as a terrorist.
8. Before this law, only groups could be declared as terrorists, but after this amended law in 2019, a person can also be declared as a suspected terrorist or terrorist.